Kenn was born in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin and spent much of his childhood on the family farm near Burnett, Wisconsin. His fondness for nature became the catalyst for his art. Kenn’s parents encouraged his artistic education and following High School, he attended Layton School of Art in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. As a commercial designer and illustrator Kenn received many awards at both local and national levels, which included acceptance in the 30th Annual Society of Illustrators Show in New York City. Although Kenn took pride in his commercial successes, his heart always belonged to the fine art of outdoor painting.
With his developing interest in the historic traditions of plein air painting, Kenn decided in 1984, to devote more time to his passion for painting and the love of the outdoors. He found that capturing true color, value, atmosphere and the mood of a subject was best done on location or through direct observation. He has also discovered the importance of his studio time in union with his outdoor experiences and enjoys the challenges of both. His passion for painting has broadened his subject matter to include not only landscape, but also figurative, portrait, still life and nature. When asked, Kenn what do you like to paint? His answer; any thing under the sun and moon is fare game.
Kenn has been featured in numerous art publications and books. His works have been juried into many shows across the country and his paintings have been bestowed with many honors including the prestigious Best of Show, Collectors Choice and Artists Choice awards. He regularly serves as an Acceptance Juror and Awards Judge for many shows around the country.
In September of 2006, Kenn was filmed, painting up in Alaska as part of a PBS series entitled, "Plein Air, Painting the American Landscape". In 2009, Kenn was one of the host artists and producers of a 13-part television series entitled Passport & Palette™ that began airing nationally on public television.
- Plein-Air Painters of America – Signature Member, Past President 2000-2001
- American Impressionist Society, Master Member
- Oil Painters of America – Master Signature Member
- Northwest Rendezvous Group – Signature Member
- 2011 Fall Plein Air Magazine Cover and Article
- 2009 Passport and Palette, Released May-APT Television Series, DVD Series
- 2007 Plein Air, Painting the American Landscape, PBS Television Series, DVD Series
- 2006 American Artist, "Workshop For Oil & Acrylic Painters", Summer Issue.
- 2004 December, Plein Air Magazine
- 2004 July, Southwest Art Magazine
- 2004 June, American Artist Magazine
- 2004 From Sea to Shining Sea, A Reflection of America, Book
- 2003 Enchanted Isle, A History of Plein Air Painting in Santa Catalina Island, Book
- 2002 Spring, Persimmon Hill Magazine
- 2000 September/October, Wildlife Art Magazine
- 1997 North Light Books, Best of Wildlife Art, Book